I never thought I’d enjoy tofu – Mark
I was speaking to some friends this week about tofu and how much I like when they looked at me aghast. Apparently every experience they’d had with tofu had been a sloppy affair, and any attempts to put it into curry in place of chicken has resulted in something resembling curried scrambled egg. Bleurgh.
Here’s how I prep tofu to give it a little bite and avoid it dissolving into sauces.
- Peel / cut the lid off (assuming you’re working with the widely available 500g Cauldron brand) and pour out the liquid
- While it’s still in its box, press down firmly on the tofu with the palm of your hand and turn the pack upside over the sink to drain off more liquid
- Still in the box, cut across and lengthways down to the bottom making inch wide squares
- Tip the tofu out on to kitchen roll and pat dry
- Drizzle with dark soy sauce
- In a wok or heavy gauge pan on a high heat, add 2tbsp of vegetable oil
- Tip in the tofu – CAUTION: It may spit at first, so if using a gas flame, turn it off briefly
- Fry for a minute, then turn all the pieces
- Fry for another minute, then add your veggies, if desired, for a final minute
- Drain on kitchen roll
DONE! The tofu will still be soft, but it’ll hold its shape much better and taste yum.
Super quick thai green curry
This method is perfect for preparing tofu for use in Thai green curry. We use the Easy Thai Green Curry Kit from Thai Taste. Just do the above, then:
- Fry up the sachet of paste with a little oil and a dash of the coconut milk for 2 minutes
- Add the tofu and veg back in and fry for a further 2 minutes
- Add the rest of the coconut milk and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the herbs, cook through briefly and you’re done.
Perfect, easy, Thai green tofu curry. Perfect when served with boiled rice and a refreshing glass of the rather unusual Bottlegreen Lemon & Lime Leaf Sparkling Pressé.
Disclosure: The Easy Thai Green Curry Kit and Bottlegreen Lemon & Lime Leaf Sparkling Pressé were set to us for review. No payment was received. All posts are 100% honest.