Will there be any left when I get home? – Mark
These wholesome, sweet, bready scones are perfect for afternoon tea. Their name comes from the flour balance, which is 50% white and 50% strong wholemeal.
This recipe makes 20 scones.
- 210g strong wholemeal bread flour
- 210g self-raising four
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 80g unsalted butter, chilled
- 220ml milk
- 1 large free range egg, to glaze
- Preheat the over to 220C (200 fan assisted)
- In a large bowl stir together the flours and baking powder
- Cube the butter and rub into the flour until you have even crumbs
- Stir in the sugar, then slowly add the milk, mixing to get a dough
- Turn out onto a floured surface and roll to 1cm thick
- Cut out circles with a medium-size biscuit cutter
- Place on a non stick baking sheet at least 1 inch apart
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned
Serve with cream, jam and a good pot of tea.