I like the rice, the red stuff, the sausage and the vegetables – JD, 5
This recipe marks my first foray into the world of slow cooking. It’s simple to prepare, so perfect to get started at lunchtime and have ready to serve up after the school run. Or if you’re at work all day, it can be prepared in the morning and cooked on low ready to eat when you get home.
It’s a tasty, low-fat dish that feeds four. Here’s what to do.
- 150g baby carrots
- 150g broccoli florets (we used frozen)
- 1 courgette
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetarian stock cube
- 1 tbsp tomato puree mixed with 3-4 tbsp water
- 5 vegetarian Lincolnshire sausages, defrosted
- Salt and pepper
- 2 packs of instant rice
- Chop the courgette and sausage into chunky slices
- Top the carrots but leave whole
- De-seed and roughly dice the peppers
- Crush or finely chop the garlic
- Add everything (except the rice, salt, pepper and parsley) to the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 1 hour, then medium for 4 -6 hours
- Season to taste
- Serve with the rice
Alternatively, if you’re in a hurry, the whole thing will take around 30 mins if simmered on the hob – just add some extra water to allow for loss as steam.