Can we eat it now? Now? Can we eat it now? – JD, 5
So how do you make an easy, super-detailed gingerbread house? The answer: cheat!
To make the house:
- start by making the gingerbread – melt together 180g butter, 150g golden syrup, 150g black treacle and 125g brown sugar in a pan
- stir the mixture into a bowl containing 500g plain flour, 1tbsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda and 1/4 tsp salt
- once you have a dough, press it into the moulds and bake it at 170C (150C fan assisted) for 25-35minutes until firm
- make up royal icing by whisking together 500g icing sugar, 1tsp cream of tartar and 3 egg whites
- once the gingerbread is cooled and crisp, construct using the icing and the included piping bag and decorate however you like
And that’s it! A really cheaty way to make a gingerbread house, but so much fun. JD loved it, I loved it – it’s totally worth the £11.99 as we’ll be using it again to make a gingerbread house for the school fair and maybe even a chocolate house at Easter.