Ooh, this is so good!! – me
On my travels round the interwebs, I see lots of great recipes, but there is one blogger who consistently posts high quality, wholesome, family friendly vegetarian recipes that bring me back time and time again: Aly of Plus 2.4.
Over the weekend, I tried out Aly’s fabulous recipe for Slow Cooker Spinach And Macaroni Cheese and the results were so delicious, I asked permission to shared them with you as part of my ‘A Mummy Too cooks with’ series.
It’s cheesy, it’s flavoursome, it’s filling, it’s one great dish. Here’s what to do to make it yourself (feed 6ish).
- 500g dried macaroni
- 350g grated mature cheddar
- 150g frozen spinach
- 100g frozen sweetcorn (Mark doesn’t like sweetcorn, so we substituted with more spinach)
- 4 small fresh tomatoes (we used about 10 baby plums, halved)
- 1 tsp salt (I forgot to put any in and didn’t miss it as the cheese was salty)
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 900ml whole milk
- 4 tbsps cornflour (we use arrowroot)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- A little butter to grease the pot
- Start off by greasing your pot well, this helps with cleaning later as it stops the food from sticking to the sides
- Add the macaroni, cheese, tomatoes, sweetcorn and spinach.
- Season well and give it a good stir.
- Mix the corn flour and the mustard with the milk in a jug with and stir well.
- Pour the milk mixture over the pasta and stir well to combine.
- Cook the slow cooker spinach and macaroni cheese on High for 2.5 – 3 hours (I stirred after 1.5 hours as it looked like the edges might burn and it was still ready after another hour, so 2.5 hours total)
I’m so pleased to have found such a great dish. I’m guessing if you made it in the morning and cooked it on low it would probably take around 6 hours – might need to experiment. I certainly wouldn’t mind eating it again!
So, thanks again to Aly:
I’m just pleased my recipe has inspired you to cook it and share it with others :)
And if you’d like to take part in ‘A Mummy Too cooks with’, please read the details of how it works and then get in touch.