Today I have a simple, quick pasta recipe for you. It feeds 3-4, uses that cupboard staple, dried spaghetti, and can easily be made vegan if you’re following a dairy/egg/meat-free diet like me. If you’re not veggie, you could add some chicken breast for extra protein.
The asparagus and garlic add a distinctive, full flavour that contrasts well with the sharp, sweet tomatoes.
Here’s what to do:
- 10 frozen asparagus spears
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 300g spaghetti
- Pinch rock salt
- Plenty pepper
- 3 vine tomatoes
- 2 tbsp butter (or vegan margarine, as I used)
- A few sprigs of fresh basil
- Put the pasta on to boil
- Peel the garlic and chop into 1mm slices
- Chop the tomatoes into quarters
- Warm the oil in a large frying pan and fry asparagus for just 60 seconds on high
- Toss in the tomatoes, garlic and half a cup of the pasta water, season well and bring to the boil for a couple of minutes
- Lift the al dente spaghetti out of the water and into the frying pan
- Add the butter/margarine and boil briefly until the liquid has absorbed and evaporated
- Serve and top with more freshly milled pepper and a little fresh basil
It’s a really fresh, satisfying meal – I hope you try it.
Add your #recipeoftheweek
Do you have a recipe to share? Here’s the place you can do it! Pick one from the past week, or any time at all. Meaty, vegan, fatty, low-calorie – all recipes are welcome, just as long as you haven’t linked them up to #recipeoftheweek before.
You share the goods, then I generally go round reading, commenting, Stumbling, Pinning and drooling over everyone’s entries. It’s that simple. So just link up below and let’s share the love.
- Link up your post using the Linky tool below
- Add the “Recipe of the Week” badge to your post so that readers can find other great recipes.
- Take a little time to read and comment on each other’s recipes.
- Come back next Saturday and we’ll do it all over again.
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.amummytoo.co.uk/2013/05/tomato-asparagus-garlic-spaghetti" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><img alt="Link up your recipe of the week" src="http://www.amummytoo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/recipe-of-the-week.png" /></a></div>