I am so, so full! – me
I love a challenge, especially a foodie one, so when McCain emailed me and asked me if I’d like to write about my dream breakfast, I was happy to oblige – even more so when I read further and learned the plan was to challenge my family to make it for me. WIN!
So, by supermarket delivery this morning arrived all the ingredients for my dream breakfast of scrambled red pepper tofu, veggie sausages, hashbrowns, seeded toast and grilled tomatoes, with a big glass of fresh orange.
I have to admit, I helped to make the tofu part, but low and behold I sat in the garden on a sunny Sunday morning and enjoyed a beautiful – and perfectly vegan – cooked breakfast. I was stuffed!
If you’d like to try it for yourself, the textured, flavourful sausages are Linda McCartney and the from-frozen, crispy hash browns are McCain. Both manufacturers have confirmed their products are meat, dairy and egg free.
If you want to make the scrambled tofu, here’s what to do (with thanks to Jolinda Hackett for the inspiration for this recipe:
- 396g pack of tofu (we used Cauldron)
- 2 sprays of liquid aminos
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 4 tsp yeast flakes with B12
- 2 tsp olive oil + 1tbsp for the pan
- 1 red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the tofu and press out the excess liquid against kitchen towel
- In a large bowl roughly mash the tofu with the aminos, tumeric, garlic and olive oil
- De-seed and finely chop the red pepper
- Warm the remaining oil in a large pan over a medium heat and fry the pepper until soft
- Tip in the tofu and fry for about 8-10 minute, stirring occassionally until the flavours taste cooked through
- Stir through the yeast, season to taste (I recommend lots of pepper), give a final taste test and serve
The result is rather yummy and perfect for breakfast.
One thing I’d say, though, is that if you’re going to try a vegan meal, try not compare the components to their meaty/eggy/dairy-rich cousins – it’s not about being better or even the same as, it’s about being different, and we can all benefit from widening our experiences with food, whatever our day-to-day diet needs and choices :)
Disclosure: we were sent some McCain hashbrowns free of charge for review. No payment was recieved. All posts are 100% honest.