Wow, that’s good – me
Recently, Rodda sent me an amazingly luxurious recipe for Beef Stroganoff, which uses their famous Clotted Cream to create a rich sauce.
As I’m vegetarian and Mark has an allergy to mushrooms, I decided to make a few tweaks to the recipe and try it for myself.
This Quorn Stroganoff with courgettes and clotted cream is a beautiful dish with a gently spicy, flavourful and intensely cream sauce.
It takes about 30 minutes to prepare and serves 4. Here’s what to do.
- 150g courgette, peeled and cubed
- 500g Quorn pieces
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 50ml brandy (you could use white wine or madeira)
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 1 bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 50g gherkins, cut into batons
- 200g Rodda’s Cornish clotted cream
- Heat a large frying pan and add the vegetable oil, when hot add the beef in batches, turning until browned on all sides but still rare in the centre.
- Remove the meat to a bowl, then add the courgette to the pan along with 30g of the butter. Cook until softened, then add the courgettes to the Quorn in the bowl.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the remaining butter followed by the onion and garlic. Sweat this mix down until fully softened but without any colour. This should take around 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika and cook for a further minute before turning up the heat and adding the brandy. Be careful, this may flame and evaporate some of the alcohol.
- Once the flames have gone out add the stock and bring back to the boil.
- Add the clotted cream and stir. Put the Quorn and courgettes back into the sauce and check for seasoning.
- Sprinkle the chopped chives and gherkins over the top (I left them out), then serve over tagliatelle, steamed rice or mashed potato.
So that was my vegetarian version. Check out this video to see Neil Haydock, Executive Chef at Watergate Bay Hotel in Cornwall, demonstrate how to make this as a Beef Stroganoff with Rodda’s Clotted Cream.
Disclosure: we were sent a selection of Roddas products and the beef recipe to cook with. No payment was received for this post. All posts are 100% honest.