Never leave your straighteners unattended near children


Don’t touch. Hot! – Miss J

I was rushing around yesterday, trying to get a million things done and I burned myself on the microwave. One of those burns where you can feel the skin thickening in a millisecond but it takes several milliseconds to tell your hand to let go. One of those burns where you run it under cold water, cursing yourself for being careless. Today, I’m sporting an attractive blister on my finger. I’m just glad it was me and not one of the kids. Children’s skin is as much as 15 times thinner than adults’.

When we have cups of tea, we always push them to the back of the work surface, and we make use of the thermostats on the radiators to avoid burns, but a recent study has shown that electrical beauty products also present a significant burns risk to our children.

According to the Electrical Safety Council, hair straighteners now account for almost 1 in 10 reported childhood burns cases. Kids run about, they pull things over and they copy their parents. Straighteners can reach temperatures of over 220°C – hot enough to cause severe burns- and once turned off can still take up to 40 minutes to cool down, so they present a serious risk.

Please note: you may find the content of the following video upsetting. I don’t even like thinking about it, but as a parent I know this is an incredibly important message to share, so please pass it on if you feel able.

Statistics show that nearly half of all adults have also received a burn from a heated hair appliance. Here’s what you can do to help protect your family:

  • Keep straighteners out of reach of children. Make sure they can’t be picked up, pulled off surfaces or trodden on.
  • Take care when using straighteners and avoid them coming into contact with the nexk, scapl or face.
  • For non-serious burns, run immediately under cold water.
  • For serious burns, seek medical attention immediately.
  • Use a heat proof pouch.

The Electrical Safety Council are currently offering a limited number of heat proof pouches to allow you to put your straighteners away quickly and safely. Visit the Beauty Burns home page for more information.

Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. The top image is ©NormalityRelief

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

CommentLuv badge


  1. James says

    My wife is constantly worried about this especially as I am an electrician and keep on pointing out the safety aspects from a electrical point of view, I know you women love them but its a shame that some one has not come up with a better way of protecting little ones and electrical equipment when using them
    James recently posted…Electrician’s Jargon…terminology defined for consumers!My Profile

  2. says

    Great post. I genuinely had no idea that they were responsible for so many injuries. I’ve shared this with our teenage girls…..they’d be absolutely beside themselves if they ever did anything to hurt the little boys. I’ve always told them to be careful, but when someone else says it they’re far more likely to listen.
    Jenny recently posted…An actual romantic meal for two!My Profile

  3. says

    Emily, I have to be honest I couldn’t bring myself to watch the video; the information in your post is enough to make me think much more carefully about where I place my hair straighteners. I have burned my forehead and ear doing my own head in the past. Really important post, thanks for sharing. Donna x
    Ordinary Cycling Girl recently posted…12 challenges for 2014My Profile