What do you do in your kitchen? This is my #goodmanskitchenplaylist

goodmanskitchenplaylist

I cook, I clean, I work, I sing and I sing loud – me

I do like a challenge, this is no secret. But Goodman rather caught me on the hop when they asked to send me their new Heritage radio (a nostalgic redesign of the classic radio with advanced DAB features and bluetooth so you can pair it with your phone, RRP £129) not for review, but to help me create a playlist for use in the kitchen. “What do you do in the kitchen? What do you listen to?” they asked…

Well, I’ll confess straight away, I don’t like extraneous noise when we’re eating. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, we all sit down and the telly/computer/radio gets turned off. I love food, so I think it’s something to savour with conversation and smiles. However…for every other kitchen activity, I love music. I turn up the volume, I sing and I sing loud. And so do the kids!

So what do I do while I’m singing myself hoarse? I do this…

Laundry: Aqualung – Brighter Than Sunshine

I tend to tackle the laundry right at the beginning of the day before I go out or sit down to work, so I need something uplifting and hopeful playing to get me in the right mind set to get things done. This track is a perfect example.

Baking: Miley Cyrus – The Backyard Sessions – “Jolene”

A guilty pleasure but oh, the voice on that girl! Great for singing to at the top of my voice while kneading bread. There are worse ways to pass the time :)

Washing up: Metallica – Nothing Else Matters

I’m still at least part metaller at heart, so I’m often caught singing Metallica. This one is a true orchestral classic and perfect for singing to while washing up.

Mopping the floor: Alicia Keys – Girl on Fire

You can’t get more glamorous than floor mopping, right? So you need to accompany that with a power ballad. Right? RIGHT?

Peeling veg: Coldplay – Everything’s Not Lost

A middle of the road choice, perhaps, but there’s a good, long, repetitive section in this particular track that allows you to rock from foot to foot and sing your little heart out while peeling the veg without really having to know many words. Anthemic.

Blogging: Turin Brakes – Underdog (Save Me)

As a food blogger, blogging in the kitchen, surrounded by inspiration sometimes just makes sense. Underdog offers beautiful vocals that run right through me. I love pretty much everything these guys have ever done so I am guaranteed to be in a better mood and therefore a more productive mood when Turin Brakes is playing.

Photo editing: UNLE ft Ian Brown – Be There

A bit old school (that makes a change, eh) but feel good and rhythmic. Photo editing requires a strange combination of intense concentration and a trance-like zoning out, so this track is perfect.

Creative recipe development: The Knife – Heartbeats

Most people are more familiar with the Jack Johnson cover, which is also great, but this synthy original is a little bit odd and puts me in the mood to push the boundaries when I’m testing flavour combinations.

5 1/2 minute dance party: Jurassic 5 – Swing Set

Little explanation needed for this last one. Sometimes I dance about in my kitchen. What of it? ;)

So as you can see, my musical taste mainly established in the 90s, stalled at the beginning of the millennium and hasn’t really moved on since, which means I’m unlikely to be found listening to Radio 1 *shudders*. Truth be told, I was always a Radio 4 kind of girl, even in my teens. ROCK N ROLL!

So, what do you do in your kitchen? And what would be on your #goodmanskitchenplaylist?

Disclosure: we were sent a DAB radio to assist with this post. No payment was received. All posts are 100% honest.

Liked this? Share it!Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on StumbleUpon

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

Comments

1. says

Love it, some fantastic songs – have to admit I’m not radio 1 girl either – was Kerrang till they took them of FM but I have been know to have Radio 2 on – I blame my Dad. This place isn’t big enough really to have a radio in the kitchen – it leads of the lounge anyway but in an old place I used to have the big stereo in the kitchen and was known to dance around while I cooked.
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Valentines from OriflameMy Profile

2. says

I am such a Radio 4 girl, too.

I sing along loudly when I am cooking (my kitchen really is just a kitchen, too small for a table or anything), and at the moment my playlist of choice is

The Cardigans – For What It’s Worth
    No Doubt – It’s My Life
    Lily Allen – The Fear
    Glenn Frey – The Heat Is On
    Lorde – Royals
    Bastille – Of The Night

Ahh heaps! loads more that I can’t think of right now!
    Steph ( recently posted…Love Your Leftovers – Slow Cooker Pulled PorkMy Profile

3. says

Firstly I am very envious of the radio. After updating my phone mine in the kitchen is no longer compatible. I also adore your playlist. Aqualung – what a blast from the past and Turin Breaks, well that has to be one of my favorite songs. I am a INdie Kid at heart and this has made me want to bring back my “tracks of my years” linky that I used to do. Would you be up for it?
    Jen aka The Mad House recently posted…Are you supporting Sports Relief – Dial for Davina DayMy Profile

4. says

Ooh, I have radio envy! I always listen to the radio when I’m in the kitchen. It’s usually radio 2 but I did listen to the Saturday play on radio 4 last week as I was sewing. I think there is a pensioner in me trying to get out!
    Louisa recently posted…A Valentines treeMy Profile

5. says

A rather varied choice there!

I am rather boring and when I do cook I just tend to stick the radio on. Usually Heart as I like the mix of anything from the 90s to present day (not that I have a clue of what is really “in” now!) and when I am just relaxing at home alone I tend to listen to Radio 2 or Radio 4.

We do need to get a DAB radio as my husband likes listening to football when it’s not on Sky/TV and I find tuning on a regular radio awful and I won’t let him put it on when I am around!
    Mummy Glitzer recently posted…Pain and CuddlesMy Profile

6. says

Oh wow, I totally love this idea! I am addicted to the radio, it’s actually on at the moment and I love nothing more than listening to The Archers. I know, I know, it’s a guilty pleasure. I’m also a massive fan of the Liza Tarbuck Show on Radio 2 on Saturdays and Jamie Cullum’s Jazz show on Tuesday evenings. We dance in our kitchen too, even on the worktop so don’t worry!

I had to give that Miley Cyrus track of yours a listen and was pleasantly surprised!
    Jenni recently posted…Scrapstore FindsMy Profile

7. says

We’ve got an internet radio in the kitchen – every channel possible around the world including catchup – so there’s a station for every mood. Want a bit of noise while you cook? Rocklassiker, a Swedish Rock station, has fantastic music and even the adverts aren’t as irritating as Planet Rock because you can’t really understand them. Comedy? Radio 4/4Extra on demand. Last week’s Just a Minute, Count Arthur Strong, Elvenquest… Can’t be beaten.

We’ve even done the all-day breakfast where we follow the breakfast shows around the timezones. Great fun.

If that doesn’t work out for us, then the chef’s in charge of the bluetooth speakers. My wife favours Pet Shop Boys, bit of John Denver, Kabat, Pink Floyd and Alice Cooper. I’m Floyd, Chris Rea, 2 Steps From Hell, Arena, and Abney Park.

Radio 1 give me a headache – I have retuned the radios in the lab I used to work to Radio 4, often with the aid of a screwdriver to remove the tuning apparatus once it’s fixed and flooding it with superglue to make sure it can’t be turned again. When we got a PC in the lab and the internet became available, they still voluntarily chose to listen to Radio 1. Can’t understand it! Every station on the planet at your fingertips and you choose to listen to that?
    JohnC recently posted…#SilentSunday – 9th February 2014My Profile

8. says

I love music on to sing to while I’m doing jobs around the house too. My daughter often has a little sing and dance to it too! We also make sure we sit quietly at meal times so that we can talk. I’ve not heard of some of these songs either.x
    Dillydrops recently posted…Paper DollsMy Profile