It’s tasty! – Miss J, 2
Pasta is a great basis for a family meal. This simple but delicious bake uses penne in a creamy sauce made right in the tray, so there’s no need to faff with a traditional bechamel sauce. It’s all topped with a crisp, golden topping of breadcrumbs and more cheese.
It makes a huge tray full – enough for 6 or more very hungry people.
Here’s what to do…
- 500g dried penne
- 250g Tenderstem broccoli
- 200ml double cream
- 350ml whole milk
- 330g mature cheese
- 300g cream cheese
- 130g coarse bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- Big glug of olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (180C fan assisted)
- Cook the penne in plenty of boiling salted water until almost cooked but still firm, then drain and pour into a well greased roasting tray
- Trim the bottom inch off all of the broccoli stems and add to the tray.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth, then beat in the double cream and milk and pour over the pasta.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle 200g over the dish but keep the rest to one side.
- Season well and give everything a good mix in the dish.
- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and remaining grated cheese together with a pinch of salt and pepper and sprinkle evenly over the top of the bake.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until a deep golden brown on top.
Serve hot and dish up at the table – I guarantee you’ll be back for seconds.