Valentine’s Day is traditionally a day for couples and romantic love, but not all of us have the luxury of a night out sans kids, so why not celebrate as a family?
The idea was actually put to me by Häagen-Dazs. They’re all about natural, quality ingredients in their ice cream, so they suggested we try out making Valentine’s special by spending real, quality time together as a family.
My mum was visiting this week, watching the kids while Mark and I worked. She was heading home today, so instead of just waving her off, we tried out this premise of a family Valentine’s by heading out for the day with the intention of making it really special.
The five of us started out with a family meal at a local restaurant, eating, laughing, and playing a slightly overenthusiastic game of twenty questions between bites.
After the meal, my mum needed to get back so we took a relaxed walk through the park back to her car, gave her slightly tearful hugs, and bid her goodbye til the next time. Hopefully it won’t be too long!
Next, Mark, JD, J and I headed into the park, telling stories, climbing trees and enjoying the crisp, fresh air.
A quick stop at the local shop saw us stock up on a couple of family friendly DVDs and two tubs of Strawberry Cheesecake Haagen-Dazs. This is a great ice cream – it’s a creamy and smooth cheesecake flavour ice cream, with crunchy biscuit pieces and more-ish swirls of sweet strawberry sauce.
Once home, we popped on the DVDs (Mark and I loved the BFG as kids, so this was a real passing-the-torch moment) and grabbed four spoons to enjoy creamy, yummy ice cream, which had softened just the right amount on the 10 minute walk home.
Mark and I will be home Valentine’s evening – no babysitter for us! But we really feel today was special, so if you can’t celebrate Valentine’s a couple for whatever reason, why not celebrate it by having fun as a family?
More about Häagen-Dazs
- Since 1961, Haagen-Dazs have created authentic dairy ice cream sing simple, quality and carefully selected kitchen ingredients. They also use minimal air, which ensures that the texture is silky, smooth and creamy.
- Haagen-Dazs blends 100% real cream and milk with carefully selected ingredients, offering a truly indulgent ice cream experience.
- Did you know you should always wait 10-12 minutes after taking Haagen-Dazs out of the freezer before eating it? This is to allow it to reach the perfect consistency – the real pleasure is worth waiting for!
- Haagen-Dazs Strawberry Cheesecake is a combination of ice cream, soft cheese and a drizzle of lemon juice, just like the traditional cake. To this they blend in broken pieces of chilled, baked biscuit. To finish they stir in sweet, tangy strawberry sauce.
- It is Haagen-Dazs’ very own ice cream version of the classic New York Cheesecake dessert.
This is a commissioned post for Haagen Daaz