This weekend, people all over the UK will be running, jumping, walking and baking to raise money for Sport Relief. To celebrate, I’ve come up with a recipe fit for a Sport Relief bake sale.
Now I’m certainly not one to turn down a sugary cake, but since we’re talking sports, I opted for gently sweet, utterly delicious and surprisingly healthy little energy bites.
Penny Alexander is one of the three super bloggers behind Team Honk – a blog focussed arm of the Sport Relief and Comic Relief fundraising effort. Team Honk has already raised over £80,000 in the past three years, and Penny happens to live just round the corner from me, so she popped over to help me cook, while we chatted all about how you can get involved with this year’s fun.
- 65g walnuts
- 65g dried cranberries
- up to 200ml fruit juice
- 2.5 tbsp flax meal
- 2.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 180g quick oats
- 75 desiccated coconut
- Blitz the cranberries, walnuts and a splash of juice in a food processor.
- Add the flax meal, maple syrup, coconut oil and oat and blitz again.
- Check the consistency. If it can be rolled into slightly sticky balls, it's ready, if not, add a little more juice a splash at a time.
- Roll the mix into 16 balls using your hands.
- Roll in the desiccated coconut.
- Chill until firm.
Don’t forget to visit http://www.teamhonk.org to find Sport Relief events near you – it’s not too late!