A boy falls in chocolate and it’s funny! – JD, 4
Over Easter, JD and I watched both Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) on DVD . We’d seen them both before, we love them both, but it does beg the most serious of questions…
Which is the better movie?
Indeed, which has the best…
- Wonka? Wilder has the acting edge. Depp does a great job of playing the dark, tortured clown, but Wilder’s closing scenes, where he turns on Charlie and shouts, “You lose! You get NOTHING!” used to terrify me as a child, and it had JD staring in wide-eyed concern, but it’s a thrilling moment – the best in the whole film, we reckon. One point to Wilder.
- Script? We like Depp’s ‘cool cat’ turns of phrase but all the best lines in the new version are straight out of the old movie, so while the new script keeps things interesting, the original script wins it for us. Another point to Wilder.
- Charlie? I have to admit I LOVE the British Charlie in the remake. He’s such a cutie and his acting is great. You can’t fail to love him. JD also reckons he’s funnier, so that’s one point to Depp.
- Cool factor? Depp is looking uber-funky and his outfit is amazing, but Wilder’s Wonka is more fun, and he was in Hear No Evil, See No Evil, so I reckon Wilder wins that round. Another point to Wilder.
- Songs? JD really enjoyed all the songs in the original movie – they’re classics! He was less taken with the new Oompa Loompas until they came out dressed as KISS and then he was overjoyed, so I reckon that’s a point each to Depp and Wilder.
- Grown up entertainment? Hmm, a tough one. Wilder is more likable, but the whole story of Wonka’s childhood adds more depth to the remake, not to mention the fact that Depp is rather easy on the eye. It’s another point to Depp.
- Visuals? We love the original with its tower full of bubbles and the car that goes in dirty and comes out clean, but Burton’s interpretation is, well, as fantastic as all his other work. A tough one, but it’s another point to Depp.
Rounding up….it’s a tie. Help us out, which movie do you like best?
Disclosure: Both movies were sent to us by Warner Bros as part of an Easter selection. No payment was received and all posts are 100% honest.