They’re a bit like yummy flapjacks – JD, 4
We were going to make flapjacks this weekend, but we were out of golden syrup, so instead we made oatmeal cookies with white chocolate chips. They’re light, crumbly and they smell amazing when they come out of the oven.
This easy recipe for kids makes about 40 cookies. It’s based on Mary Berry’s oat cookies, but with several tweaks and changes.
Here’s what we did:
- 250g unsalted butter / dairy-free spread
- 300g golden granulated sugar
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp soya milk (or normal milk)
- 280g porridge oats
- 220g self-raising flour
- 100g white chocolate chips / vegan chocolate chips
- Put the butter / spread in the microwave in a large bowl for bursts of 10 seconds until well softened but not melted
- Stir in the sugar with a fork, then whisk until the mixture is fluffy
- Whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract, then whisk into the main mixture
- Stir in the flour, oats and chocolate chips until well combined
- Dollop heaped teaspoons of mixture onto an oven dish at least 1.5 inches apart
- Bake at Gas Mark 4 for 12-15 minutes, until just colouring
- Cool briefly on the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack with a spatula
Let me know if you try it.