I’m going to grow so big and strong! – JD, 4
Back in March, a lovely little note from the customer services team at Ocado dropped into my inbox, offering me a £25 voucher with the explanation, “we’d like to have a chance to show you how good online shopping can be.”
Finding ourselves within their delivery catchment area after moving last week, I took to the Ocado recipe pages and ordered (among other things) the ingredients for a rather lovely, meat free, dairy free meal. The delivery experience was flawless and the cooking experiment a great success.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, sliced
- 2 Celery Sticks, sliced
- 1 Carrot, sliced
- 1 Potato, chopped
- 800g tinned tomatoes,
- 750ml Vegetable Stock,
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper, freshly ground
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and celery
- Heat the oil on a medium heat, then add the onion, garlic and celery and fry until softened
- Meanwhile, grate the carrot and dice the potato, then add to the pan to fry for 1 minute
- Add the tinned tomatoes with their juice, the stock, bay leaf, sugar and seasoning
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are very soft.
- When cooked, allow to cool slighly, blend in a food processor until smooth, then reheat before serving
- 3 courgettes
- 2 large / 4 small potatoes,
- 1 onion
- 3 eggs
- 40g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 120ml vegetable oil
- Grate potatoes, courgettes on the fine side of a grater
- Finely chop the onion
- Put all the veg in a colander and press/squeeze until it stops producing liquid
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper and eggs together in a bowl until smooth
- Stir in the vegetables
- Heat the oil on high in a heavy gauge frying pan
- Turn down to medium and add the batter in large tablespoon portions – it should sizzle
- Cook for 5 mins on one side until browned, flip and cook for a couple more minutes until crispy
- Drain on paper towels before serving.
Serve the soup and latkes piping hot with a couple of wedges of crusty bread. Perfect for this changeable weather and suprisingly filling.
Disclosure: Ocado gave me a £25 voucher to try out their service. No payment was received for this post. All posts are 100% honest.