This dairy-free, gluten-free chocolate and vanilla sponge cake is delicious. The chocolate is brownie-like, the vanilla is light, and it’s all arranged in a chequerboard design and smothered in rich, dairy-free chocolate frosting.
To achieve this light consistency, I used Pure Sunflower Spread, which is completely dairy free and fantastic to use in baking.
- 280g Pure Dairy Free Spread
- 350g caster sugar
- 4 medium free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 350g gluten free self raising flour
- pinch salt
- 50g cocoa
- 2 tbsp water
- 250g Pure dairy free spread
- 250g icing sugar
- 100g cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 140C fan.
- Beat the spread, vanilla and sugar together until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Beat in the flour and salt until pale.
- Divide the mixture between two bowls. Beat 50g cocoa into one of them.
- Grease and line 4 square 7", straight-sided baking trays. Fill two with the chocolate mix and two with the vanilla mix.
- Bake the chocolate ones for 25 minutes and the vanilla ones for 35 minutes (or until everything is just firm).
- Leave to cool completely. (Tip: If you wrap them in clingfilm and place them in the fridge for an hour or even overnight, they're easier to work with when it comes to the cutting and assembly)
- Beat the spread, icing sugar and cocoa together, starting slowly and working up to full speed until the mix is fluffy.
- Take a slab of cake and cut in half, then quarters, then eighths, then sixteenths. Repeat for the other three cakes.
- On a clean board, begin to reassemble the first layer in a chequerboard fashion, smearing a little frosting along each edge as you go.
- When you have your first layer done, cover the top with a thin layer of frosting, then begin building your second layer.
- Keep going until you have 4 layers, then cover the whole of the outside with frosting and place in the fridge for an hour to set.
#BakeDairyFree to win!
If you’ve been making any dairy free creations of your own, why not tweet or Instagram @PureDairyFree along with the hashtag #BakeDairyFree? It could win you £1,000 worth of baking kit. Check the Pure website for full details.
This is a commissioned post for Pure.