The essential weekend bag and holdall – Julie Slater & Son
I chose this bag because I needed something multi-purpose. Something for overnight business travel, family weekends out and the regular training seminars I run where I need quite a lot of kit. Normally, I opt for lifestyle and fashion accessories in black, black and black. It’s just simpler, but this time, I decided to pick something that would stand out.
The Julie Slater & Son Overnight Bag in Sandstripe is absolutely gorgeous. I’m not girly, but I think I actually squeaked when this arrived.
In a nutshell, it’s:
- Light – A must since I’ve had far too many bags that are heavy before I’ve even packed them.
- Strong – Made from oilcloth – a sort of coated sackcloth material.
- Colourful – Just look at the pics! Admittedly not to everyone’s taste but rather lovely, I’d say.
- Spacious – It’s not holdall size (although there is a holdall in the range), but you can easily get a couple of changes of clothes, toiletries and the usual in there. I’d say it offers about the same capacity as an average-sized rucksack.
- Finished to a lovely standard – Rolled leather handles, leather piping, stitching detail, metal zips, detachable shoulder strap, outside and inside pockets.
I took this to work and it instantly got comments. I took it to JD’s pre-school and it turned heads there too. Really, to call it an overnight bag is to do it a disservice. It works just as well housing a laptop and paperwork…or even nappies and baby wipes.
I guess the real test will be how it holds up over the next few months and years of being used seven days a week in various settings. Early signs suggest it doesn’t scuff or mark easily, so I think I’m on to a winner.
Disclosure: This product was provided to us free-of-charge for review. No payment was received and this review is 100% honest. Please see my review/disclosure policy for more information.