Bored of the same old breakfast options? How about this sweet carrot cake bircher?
This delicious combination of apple, carrot, dried apricots and toasted oats is made extra special with the addition Onken Plain Grain, a slightly sweetened plain yogurt with 5 grains – Barley, Oats, Rye, Wheat and Rice. I absolutely love the texture of Onken Plain Grain – it’s creamy, chewy, refreshing and satisfying.
Here's how to make this fun breakfast bircher!
- Small handful rolled oats
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and julienned
- 1 small carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 handful chopped dried apricots
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pot (450g / 16 oz) Onken Plain Grain yogurt
- 1 handful mixed fruit/berries
Put the oats in a dry frying pan.
Toast over a medium heat, shaking continually for a minute or two until golden brown. Tip onto a plate to cool and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the apple, carrot, apricots and cinnamon.
Fold in the Onken Plain Grain.
Serve topped with a scattering of berries and the toasted oats.
Isn't that lush? Sweet breakfast coleslaw really is a thing, and it's yummy!
Have you ever tried sweet coleslaw before? What do you think?
If you’d like this breakfast coleslaw recipe again in a printable format, just click PRINT on the recipe card below.
Carrot cake breakfast bircher
- 1 handful rolled oats
- 1 apple peeled, cored and julienned
- 1 small carrot peeled and julienned
- 1 handful (1 ) dried apricots chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 450 g (15.87 oz) Onken Plain Grain yogurt
- 1 handful (1 ) mixed fruit/berries
- Put the oats in a dry frying pan and toast over a medium heat, shaking continually for a minute or two until golden brown. Tip onto a plate to cool and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the apple, carrot, apricots and cinnamon.
- Fold in the Onken Plain Grain.
- Serve topped with a scattering of berries and the toasted oats.
This is a commissioned post for Onken.
More breakfast recipes to try
For more tasty breakfast ideas, try these!
Get Your Kids to Eat Anything
My debut cookbook, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything is available now from all good bookshops!
It's so much more than a cookbook, it's a 5-Phase programme designed to take you through a meaningful, simple and sustainable journey to end fussy eating.
Since its release in March 2019, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything has been changing mealtimes in households across the country and has become an Amazon #1 best-seller.