This fruity granola recipe uses mixed dried fruit, coconut, jumbo oats and maple syrup. It makes approximately 10 servings, and is so packed with fruit, an 80g (1/3 cup) portion of this cereal will give you one of your five recommended portions of fruit and veg a day.
My version costs around 64p per serving (or just over £6.42 in total for three jars).
Remember, though, because this is a fruity cereal, it’s also a naturally sugary cereal, so while it’s free from refined sugars and artificial colours and flavours, and therefore healthier than an additive-packed bowl of SugarOs, it should still be eaten as part of balanced and sensible diet.
Here’s how to make it.
Coconut, hazelnut and mixed fruit granola
Fruity granola recipe uses mixed dried fruit, coconut, jumbo oats and maple syrup.
- 250g (1 3/4 cups) jumbo oats
- 120g (6 tbsp) runny honey (you could also use maple syrup or carob syrup)
- 10g (2 tbsp) desiccated coconut
- 125g (just under 1 cup) chopped hazelnuts
- 320g (2 cups) mixed dried fruit
- 125ml (1/2 cup) melted butter (you could also use canola oil, coconut oil or ground nut oil)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan).
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until well combined
- Line a large baking tray with a large piece of greaseproof folded in half ie you should have enough to cover the base twice.
- Open out the greaseproof paper and spread the mixture over the whole tray - you don't need to press down - then fold the greaseproof paper back over so that it's loosely covering the mixture. This will stop the fruit from burning.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, then remove, uncover, stir and recover, then bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely, uncovered, then transfer to clean jars with airtight lids to store.
This is a recipe commission for GoCompare.com, who are challenging food bloggers to come up with frugal, fruit and/or veg packed meal ideas. Check out more family food ideas at http://www.gocompare.com/money/healthy-family-recipes/