Well it certainly looks posh – me
This week I’ve been trialling an interesting concept that’s a cross between the vegetable box deliveries you get from your local farm and the full meals you can have delivered from the likes of Jenny Craig.
These are ‘Gousto boxes’ and they come packed with everything you need to make three meals, from pastas, to pulses, to vegetables, to spices – it’s all there, you only need to add basics like oil, salt and pepper.
The boxes are aimed squarely at busy couples and families who don’t have much time but want to eat healthy, delicious home cooked meals. You log on and choose your three meals for the week from the current selection on offer, then later than week, all of the ingredients are delivered to your door in the right proportions (including spices in little labelled baggies), along with recipe cards. It couldn’t be simpler.
The meals and the ingredients are of a good quality and I can see people signing up for these boxes both for convenience and to learn new techniques or help them adjust into healthier eating habits.
I’m keen to give you an idea of the sort of meals you get in a Gousto bag, so they’ve kindly agreed to let me share this recipe for spiced pumpkin and halloumi on bulgar wheat.
It makes a pleasantly sweet salad with lots of different textures – the chewy salty halloumi, the bitter sweet crunchy pomegranate seeds, the soft spicy pumpkin, the tangy onion, the wholesome stock-infused bulgar wheat, and the refreshing mint all come together perfectly. If you’re not a fan of pumpkin, this would work equally well with butternut squash or sweet potato.
Here’s what to do.
- 600g pumpkin
- 1 red onion
- 10g garam masala
- 100g bulgar wheat
- 1 lemon
- 200g halloumi cheese
- 1 vegetable stock
- 10g mint
- 1 pomegranate
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan assisted)
- Peel the onion and chop into eighths
- Peel the pumpkin and chop into 2 inch squares (if too large, it takes much longer to cook in the oven)
- Put the pumpkin and onion in an oven proof tray, cover with the olive oil and garam nasal and mix to coat on all sides
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin pieces are soft and browned around the edges
- Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in a bowl containing 200ml of boiling water
- Add the bulgar wheat, cover the board and set aside
- Wash the mint and chop finely
- Cut the pomegranate in half an loosen up the edges
- De-seed the pomegranate by holding it in your hand over a bowl, seeds facing down; lightly hit the back of the pomegranate with a spoon on all sides until all the seeds have come out
- Cut the halloumi into 0.5cm slices
- In a small bowl,combine 2 tbsp of olive oil with the juice of half a lemon
- Season with salt and pepper
- Put a frying pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat
- Cook the halloumi cheese for 1-2 min on each side
- Combine the bulgar wheat, pomegranate, mint and vegetables in a bowl
- Divide between four bowls
- Put two pieces of halloumi cheese on top
- Cover with the vinaigrette
- Serve immediately
Disclosure: I was sent ingredients and recipe cards for two Gousto meals. The recipe here is being reproduced with the kind permission of Gousto.