The tuna melt is a classic, but it can be loaded with fat. Here’s a healthier version, made with light mayo, spring onions, Leerdammer Light cheese (a Swiss cheese with 50% less fat than it’s Original version), seasoning and a topping of fresh rocket (arugula). Why not make it this week?
Reduced-fat tuna melt
Crispy, cheesy tuna melt, with fewer calories.
- 4 slices of bread (I used a bloomer)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 spring onions (whites and greens sliced)
- 4 tbsp light mayonaise
- A small can of tuna in water, drained
- Squeeze of lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices light swiss cheese (I used Leerdammer Light)
- A handful of rocket (arugula)
- Turn the grill on to hot.
- Lightly toast the bread in a toaster until just coloured, then place on an oven tray and drizzle with the olive oil.
- In a bowl, mix the spring onions, mayo, tuna and a squeeze of lemon until well combined. Season to taste.
- Spread the tuna mix on to each of the toasts and top with a slice of cheese each (Leerdammer slices are large so I folded them over.
- Grill briefly until the cheese begins to bubble.
- Top with rocket and a sprinkle of pepper to serve.
Courses Burgers and sandwiches
All this week, I’m using Leerdammer cheese to create a series of delicious, easy to prepare sandwiches.
Come back tomorrow for more ideas!
This is a commissioned post for Leerdammer