Can we open one more Christmas Eve present? – JD, 5
A little while back, I was contacted by comparison site, Idealo with some research suggesting that toys ordered in mid-November are, on average, 24% cheaper in the week before Christmas.
This is what prices did last year, according to Idealo’s data of the top ten toys bought through their site:
To test this theory, we were asked to choose £100 of gifts in mid-November and then compare the prices again in the week before Christmas.
So, for JD we chose:
- LEGO Hero Factory Fangz – Price mid-Nov: £19.99, Price today: £27.83
- LEGO Hero Factory Kids’ Watch with minifigure – Price mid-Nov: £9.98, Price today: £9.98
- Miniland Electronic Circuit with 88 Experiments – Price mid-Nov: £21.09, Price today: £24.79
And for Miss J:
- Galt Pop Up Toy – Price mid-Nov: £5.47, Price today: £6.99
- Galt Soft Blocks – Price mid-Nov: £5.92, Price today: £5.92
- Fisher-Price Fun with Friends Musical Table – Price mid-Nov: £37.49, Price today: £37.49
Hmm, so in actual fact if we’d ordered in the last week, we’d actually have paid 13.06% more on the items and risked not getting them in time for Christmas. I think I’ll stick to shopping early!
I did learn a few things though…
- It’s easier to find good deals on price comparison sites. By doing so, I homed in on some really good deals that I just might not have found on other sites. Maybe that’s why our prices didn’t fit the research!
- You can find gift ideas on comparison sites that you won’t find with big retailers. In fact, searching for trusted brands like Galt, Lego and Fisher Price brought up ideas for cheap presents that I hadn’t even thought of, and that weren’t even stocked by the likes of Argos and Toys R Us.
- Small retailers give great service. It might feel risky ordering from small name retailers, but our items from Play Merrily and others arrived on time, well packaged and in great condition – and of course they had no idea they were part of a blogging experiment.
So, while our experience didn’t match the research, I do feel like we got amazing value from our £100 and I’ll definitely be taking the same approach when buying other toys. It’s just a smarter way to shop.
Disclosure: Idealo sent us the toys detailed as part of this experiment and review. No payment was received. All posts are 100% honest.