These gluten-free crêpes are light, flavourful and delicious. If you were at the BBC Good Festival at Hampton Court Palace this weekend, you might have tried these crepes for yourself, where I was cooking up a storm. Now you can make them at home!
Gluten-free oaty crêpes with homemade chocolate hazelnut spread
Yield 8 -10
Delicious crêpes with an oaty topping, spread with homemade chocolate hazelnut spread. Perfect for breakfast!
For the chocolate spread:
- 300g blanched hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cocoa powder (or more if preferred)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp dark soft brown sugar
For the pancakes:
- 200g gluten-free plain flour
- pinch salt
- 30g icing sugar
- 2 eggs
- 500ml whole milk
- 25g goat’s butter, melted (plus more to fry)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g gluten-free rolled oats
To make the sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 140C fan.
- Spread the hazelnuts on a tray in a single layer and roast for 10 mins, then tip into a blender with a tsp of the oil and blitz until the oils release and you have a nut butter. It will take several minutes, stopping regularly to scrape down the sides.
- Add the remaining oil and blitz through, then add the remaining ingredients and blitz briefly until just combined. Taste.
- If you like, you can add more cocoa at this stage to make it a deeper chocolatey brown. Just pulse briefly to avoid over working it.
- Transfer to a clean, lidded jar and store in the fridge for up to a month.
To make the pancakes:
- Sift the flour, salt and icing sugar into a bowl and make a well.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together, then pour into the flour and whisk until fully combined.
- Next, whisk in the melted butter followed by the bicarbonate of soda.
- Warm a pancake pan over a medium heat with a dot of butter, then ladle in enough batter to just cover the pan in a thin layer, swirling to distribute.
- Quickly sprinkle with a tablespoon of oats before the batter has time to set.
- Flip the crêpe and cook on the other side until golden. Tip on to a plate.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter, placing a square of greaseproof between each one.
- To serve, spread the crêpes with the chocolate hazelnut spread as generously as you like, then roll up and serve.