This will do nicely – a very hungry me
You may remember that I while back I published an amazing recipe for vegetarian scotch eggs, kindly supplied by Andy Bates of Food Network.
Well this week we took the same recipe and tweaked it to create these lovely, spicy and best of all low fat bean burgers.
Here’s what to do to make four high protein, low fat burgers:
- 400g can chickpeas
- 400g can red kidney beans
- 400g can white cannellini beans
- 1 tsp fresh, finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp fresh, finely chopped chilli
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- 1tsp milk
- 100g white breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Drain and rinse the beans and chickpeas, then mash them well with a fork
- Mix in the ginger, chilli and seasoning
- Divide into four and pat into burger shapes
- Dip in the flour, then in the egg and milk mix, then in the bread crumbs. If you like a thick coating, dip in the egg and bread crumbs again
- Heat the oil in a very hot pan
- Fry the burger for 7 minutes, then flip and cook for another 5-8 minutes until it looks fully cooked
- Drain on kitchen paper before serving.
We served ours with lots of fresh, crunch salad and a splodge of salsa.