Can we have tea in the garden? – JD, 4
For our final experiment with the Morrisons M Savers range, we thought we’d try a simple picnic salad idea we found on the M Savers Summer website. It won’t win awards for originality, but it might win awards for frugality, coming in at just 26p per very general portion (£1.04 for four portions) – actually I think it could serve 6 if part of a picnic.
Here’s what we did.
- 500g of M Savers Potatoes
- 200g M Savers Frozen Peas
- 1/2 M Savers Lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp M Savers Mint Sauce
- 60g M Savers Greek Salad Cheese
- Salt and pepper
- With skins still on, cut the potatoes roughly into 1 inch chunks
- Add to a pan of cold salted water, and bring to the boil, simmering for 15-20 mins until tender.
- Scoop out the potatoes, drain and leave them to cool
- Add the peas to the water and cook for 2 minutes so they are warmed through but not softened
- Drain and run under cold water
- To make the dressing, mix the juice of the lemon with the olive oil and mint sauce with a fork
- In a large bowl, mix the cooled potatoes, peas, dressing and crumbled cheese
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for at least an hour to let the flavours sink in
It’s a good, cheap recipe but I have to confess not delicious like the lemon drizzle cake or apricot crunch bites we made last week. I think it’s because I’m a cheese snob, so in future I’d probably blow a few more pennies and switch the salad cheese for real feta. Reckon you might give it a try?
If you’re loving the idea of saving money this summer, you might want to head to one of the Morrisons M Savers Summer Play Parks happening round the country. Check out the events calendar to see if there’s one near you.
Disclosure: Morrisons are currently sponsoring me to get creative with their M Savers range and recipes. All posts are 100% honest.