This is a truly yummy recipe for Ploughman's pasties. It's light enough to enjoy on hot summer days but filling enough to have as a main meal.
Ploughman's pasties - veggie or meat recipe
- 250 g 9 oz silverskin pickled onions
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 15 g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g 7 oz mature cheddar cheese (vegetarian if required)
- 100 g 3.5 oz onion chutney
- 150 g 5.5 oz ham or veggie ham, sliced
- 10 g fresh parsley
- 2 Shortcrust ready rolled sheets
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 400 g 14 oz frozen potato wedges
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the wedges according to the pack instructions.
- When cool, cut into thirds and set aside.
- Chop the onions in half - or quarters if large.
- Warm the oil and butter in a pan and gently fry the onions with the cumin until soft and browning.
- In a clean bowl, grate the cheese and stir in the chutney, parsley, onions, cooled wedges and a little salt and pepper.
- Unroll the pastry and using an upturned cereal bowl, cut out eight circles.
- Put a generous spoonful of mixture in the center of each of the circles then pinch together at the top to form pasties.
- Place on a large baking tray, brush with egg and sprinkle with the cracked black pepper.
- Cook in the oven at 220C/430F (200C/390F fan) for 30 minutes until golden.
- Serve with more wedges, salad or whatever takes your fancy.
Recipe adapted from one provided by McCain
More perfect pies and pastries recipes to try
Get Your Kids to Eat Anything
My debut cookbook, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything is available now from all good bookshops!
It's so much more than a cookbook, it's a 5-Phase programme designed to take you through a meaningful, simple and sustainable journey to end fussy eating.
Since its release in March 2019, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything has been changing mealtimes in households across the country and has become an Amazon #1 best-seller.