This is a truly yummy recipe for Ploughman's pasties. It's light enough to enjoy on hot summer days but filling enough to have as a main meal.
Ploughman's pasties - veggie or meat recipe
- 250 g 9 oz silverskin pickled onions
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 15 g slightly salted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g 7 oz mature cheddar cheese (vegetarian if required)
- 100 g 3.5 oz onion chutney
- 150 g 5.5 oz ham or veggie ham, sliced
- 10 g fresh parsley
- 2 Shortcrust ready rolled sheets
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 400 g 14 oz frozen potato wedges
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the wedges according to the pack instructions.
- When cool, cut into thirds and set aside.
- Chop the onions in half - or quarters if large.
- Warm the oil and butter in a pan and gently fry the onions with the cumin until soft and browning.
- In a clean bowl, grate the cheese and stir in the chutney, parsley, onions, cooled wedges and a little salt and pepper.
- Unroll the pastry and using an upturned cereal bowl, cut out eight circles.
- Put a generous spoonful of mixture in the center of each of the circles then pinch together at the top to form pasties.
- Place on a large baking tray, brush with egg and sprinkle with the cracked black pepper.
- Cook in the oven at 220C/430F (200C/390F fan) for 30 minutes until golden.
- Serve with more wedges, salad or whatever takes your fancy.
Recipe adapted from one provided by McCain