I have a really simple recipe for you today – vegetarian lasagne that will feed a family of six!
It’s so delicious, the vegetarian mince has plenty of flavour packed into it, it’s bursting with veg and so simple to make.
What to make this easy vegetable lasagne? Here’s the recipe in a printable format.
Easy vegetable lasagne
For the tomato and vegetable mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 500 g (1.1 lb) vegetarian mince
- 1 large courgette cut into 1cm /(1/2 inch) pieces
- 1 red pepper deseeded and cut into 1cm /(1/2 inch) pieces
- 1 green pepper deseeded and cut into 1cm /(1/2 inch) pieces
- 2 medium carrots cut into 1cm /(1/2 inch) pieces
- 1 vegetable stock pot/cube crumbled
- 400 g (14.1 oz) passata
- 400 g (14.1 oz) chopped tomatoes
For the white sauce
- 400 ml (13.5 floz) whole milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
To bring it all together
- 250 g (8.8 oz) fresh egg lasagne sheets
- 60 g (2.1 oz) mature cheddar cheese grated
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
To make the tomato and vegetable mince
- Warm 1 tbsp of the oil in a large nonstick pot over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mince and fry for 2 minutes until just beginning to brown.
- Once lightly browned, set aside in a bowl.
- In the pan, add the remaining oil.
- Add the veggies and sweat for 4-5 minutes until the carrots are just softened.
- Add the vegetarian mince back into the pan and stir through.
- Stir in the passata, chopped tomatoes and stock cube and cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes are darker in colour.
- Take off the heat and set aside.
To make the white sauce
- Put the butter, flour, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper in a non-stick pan.
- Whisk together over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until thickened. Taste to make sure the flour is 'cooked out'.
To put it all together
- Layer a third of the tomatoe sauce into the greased lasagne tin.
- Cover with a third of the fresh lasagne sheets.
- Cover that with a third of the white sauce.
- Repeat for three layers of pasta, finishing with white sauce.
- Top with the grated cheese and a good pinch of freshly milled black pepper.
- Bake at 200C (180C fan-assisted, 400F) for 20-30 minutes until bubbling and golden on top.
More vegetarian pasta recipes to try
Get Your Kids to Eat Anything
My debut cookbook, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything is available now from all good bookshops!
It’s so much more than a cookbook, it’s a 5-Phase programme designed to take you through a meaningful, simple and sustainable journey to end fussy eating.
Since its release in March 2019 Get Your Kids To Eat Anything has been changing mealtimes in households across the country and has become an Amazon #1 best-seller.