These are yeasted dinner rolls with a crisp crust, halved, smothered with cheese and paprika and grilled to perfection.
Spicy grilled cheese on home-baked rolls
- 500 g 17.5 oz strong white bread flour
- 7 g 1 sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g 2 oz softened butter
- 150 ml 5 fl oz milk
- 150 ml 5 fl oz water
- 400 g 14 oz cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
- Mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- Rub in the softened butter with your hands.
- Slowly add the milk and water, mixing with a round blade knife knife as you go.
- Stir with your hands to combine, then kneed for a few minutes into a smooth dough.
- Leave covered in warm place for an hour to prove.
- Once risen, cut into eight equal pieces, roll each piece into balls.
- Place the balls at least 2 inches apart on a floured baking tray and cover to prove for another 20-30 mins.
- Gently press down each roll a little.
- Bake at 220C/430F (200C/390F fan assisted) for 15 minutes.
- When cooled, cut in half, put them back on the baking tray and cover with grated cheese and paprika.
- Put under a hot grill until the cheese bubbles.