Ooh, you have to try this, mum! – me
I am excited to share this amazing savoury Special K roast with you because for the first time in a long time I, the veggie of the family, felt a real part of Sunday lunch.
As a veggie, there are LOADS of options when it comes to flavour, but not so many for texture. This roast dish has a brilliantly meaty texture with a little crunch from the walnuts. It’s great warm with roast veg and gravy, but it’s also delicious cold the next day, as my mum and I discovered when we kept going back for more over lunch.
This recipe was given to me by the mum of my dearest friend @wobblymouse – they were brought up vegetarian from childhood, whilst I converted as a teenager. When my mum was stuck as to what to feed me for a Sunday roast, this was the life saver for all concerned! I still make it regularly and serve it as a Sunday veggie roast – reminds of happy teenage Sunday dinners with BFF as carefree teenagers – now we’re boring middle aged women and don’t get to have dinner together nearly often enough – so it’s from both of us!!
It’s not like anything I’ve ever made before and I’ll definitely make it again. Here’s what to do…
- 240g special k or any rice based flakes
- 5 eggs (maybe 6 f it looks dry)
- 350g cottage cheese
- 60g walnuts crushed of ground
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix (I could only find the single cup type so used 2 sachets)
- 80ml melted butter or margarine
- Preheat the oven to 175c (160C fan assisted)
- Crush the Special K in a bowl
- Crush the walnuts and add them to the bowl
- Stir in the onion soup mix
- Add cottage cheese and the melted butter / margarine
- Beat the eggs and stir into the mix thoroughly
- Transfer the mix to a greased shallow dish or loaf tin – we used a sandwich tin
- Place dish in tray of water and bake uncovered for 1 hour – cover the top if looks like getting burnt
Easy, right? Must be tried! So what does Mary think of my efforts?
Phew! Now, if you’d like to take part in ‘A Mummy Too cooks with’, please read the details of how it works and then get in touch.