Sometimes when making out a new recipe idea like these Veggie Bacon and Sweet Chilli Pinwheels I get a ‘this is going to be good’ feeling from the start. After all, what’s not to like when you mix crispy puffy pastry, chilli jam and veggie bacon? My mouth is watering just writing those words!
And boy, did they turn out to be delicious. The veggie bacon pairs beautifully with the sweet, fiery chilli. And the crunchy-yet-soft puff pastry holds everything together beautifully.
They’re the perfect snack if you need to brighten up an afternoon, and the individual portions, colours and pretty swirls make this a great crowd pleaser if you’re throwing a party. They’d be a fantastic edition to a picnic hamper too. Warning: you might find it hard to share once you’ve had your first bit. They’re that good!
Watch the video below to find out how to make them.
If you want to have a go at making these yourself, here’s the recipe in an easy to follow, printable format. Just hit the grey ‘PRINT’ button in the recipe card below.
- 1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry
- 2-3 tbsp jar sweet chilli jam
- 1 packet veggie bacon (or enough to cover the whole sheet)
- 1 beaten egg
- Salt and pepper
- Unroll the puff pastry onto a floured board.
- Spread with the chilli jam, almost to the edges.
- Layer with the bacon, aiming to leave as few gaps as possible.
- Carefully, roll the whole thing up, starting from the short side and finishing with the seam underneath.
- Trim off the ends, then cut into 2cm thick discs.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
- Brush with beaten egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 180C for 25 minutes until puffed and golden.
Let me know if you make these…and if you managed not to make another batch straight after the first!
Don’t forget to pin this now so that you can enjoy it later!