I guess this means I can have two – me
These large, bready, spiced muffins are delicious, quick to make and contain less that 1% fat.
Each muffin contains just 173 calories, 2.7 g fat, 31.9g carbohydrate (of which 13.4g is sugar), 4.1 protein and 1.7g fibre. That’s around 5 Weight Watchers ProPoints.
And if you’d prefer to leave out the frosting, each muffin contains just 155 calories, with 2.7 g fat, 29.2g carbohydrate (of which 13.2g is sugar), 3.9 protein and 1.7g fibre. That’s approximately 4 Weight Watchers ProPoints.
Here’s what to do.
For the sponge
- 150g white self-raising flour
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 free range eggs
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 130g light muscovado
- 35g Flora Cuisine
- 60g fat-free natural yoghurt (29 calories, 0g fat, 0g fibre, 4g carbohydrate, 3g protein, 4g sugar)
- 200g carrots, grated
For the icing
- 30g Icing sugar
- 30g fat free yoghurt
- Rind of 1 1emon
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients
- In a second bowl, beat together the wet ingredients, then add to the dry
- Finish by stirring in the grated carrots
- Divide evenly between 12 muffin cases in a muffin tray
- Bake in the oven at 190C (170C fan assisted) for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden on top
- Let them rest in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- Mix together the icing sugar and yoghurt for the frosting until smooth
- Drizzle a little over each muffin and top with a sprinkle of lemon rind
- Allow to set before eating
This recipe seem quite dependent on getting the right amounts of moisture and heat, so experiment until you’re happy. If your oven runs hot, or your wet ingredients are a little larger than average, you may get a slightly doughy centre, but it’ll still be yummy.