1 in 19 children in Bangladesh do not live to see their 5th birthday – Save the Children
A few months ago, the whirling, blogging, doer of things that amaze and astound, Mammasaurus, started a big project with Save the Children. You can read all about it here, but the upshot is that lots of things happened to raise money for babies in Bangaldesh and one of them was the creation of the cookbook you see above.
The book’s creation was orchestrated by Mammasaurus and HPMCQ and illustrated by DoodleMum and the recipes were donated by a host of super talented baking bloggers. And me.
I’m really proud to be part of it. The recipes in the book are fantastic, the illustrations are stunning and the cause couldn’t be more worthy – the money is going to a place where one child in 19 will not live to see their 5th birthday. That’s a devastating statistic.
So go on, buy it. Buy it for yourself, buy it as a Christmas present, buy it for your kids. It’s available as an ebook or in physical bound paperback format and money raised will go to the total on the Blog it for Babies Just Giving Page which currently stands at £1564.88.
That money will buy things like:
- Baby resuscitation kit – £29 can buy a baby resuscitation kit to deliver vital oxygen to babies born with breathing difficulties
- Large instrument tray – £15 can buy a large stainless steel instrument tray to keep medical instruments such as forceps and syringes, hygienic and germ free
- Spotlight – £8 can buy a spotlight to light up a room and help our health workers do their vital jobs safely
- Saline Stand – £16 can buy a saline stand to house the saltwater solution used to sterilise wounds and replace vital fluids after vomiting or diarrhoea
- Skilled birth attendant – £150 could pay for a skilled birth attendant for a month, a vital part of the team to ensure babies are delivered safely
I’m not going to tell you how to feel. I’m not going to hard sell by making you think of the reality of giving birth without basic medical supplies. I’ll just say, please buy this book, get some yummy recipes, and enjoy your baking knowing you’ve also made a tiny difference.