Chinese soup with little gem and tofu
This delicious recipe for low-fat Chinese soup with little gem and chicken/tofu is really easy to make and insanely tasty too. Chopping the fresh ginger, spring onions and garlic was enough to get my tastebuds going, but the taste of the finished dish is just wonderful and it's so warm, filling and refreshing - you'd never guess it was a 'diet soup'.
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 6-8 spring onions white part very finely sliced, green part sliced into 1cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and very finely sliced or crushed
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger peeled and thinly sliced or grated
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 300 g silken tofu cubed
- 1 small red pepper deseeded and very finely diced
- 2 little gem lettuce shredded
- 1 teaspoon Tamari or light soy sauce
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
Warm the oil in a soup pot, add the white part of the spring onion, the garlic and the ginger and saute gently for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft (don’t let them brown).
Add three quarters of the stock, bring slowly to the boil, reduce the heat then add the chicken and/or tofu, red pepper, the green part of the spring onion, the lettuce and the Tamari/soy sauce.
Stir well and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes.
Add the remainder of the stock if you like it more ‘liquid’, taste and season if required before serving.