I’m really enjoying exploring the brilliant ideas in Parragon’s The Superfood Kitchen – a cookbook packed with healthy breakfast, lunch, main meal and dessert recipes using so called ‘superfoods’ like pomegranate, beetroot, kale nuts and pulses.
These cake/cookie hybrids are perfect for breakfast and packed with goodness including carrot, apple, coconut, flax seeds and wholemeal flour. They’re delicious too with a crispy outer and soft cake-like inner.
If you’d like to make them for yourself, here’s what to do – the recipe yields 12 jumbo cookies.
- 100g (3.5 oz) flaxseeds
- 85g (3 oz) wholemeal plain flour
- 70g (2.5 oz porridge oats (I used organic jumbo oats)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 85g (3 oz) dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 dessert apple, cored and coarsely grated
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 40g (1.5 oz) pecan nuts, roughly chopped (I used walnuts)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 125ml (4 fl oz) maple syrup
- grated zest of ½ orange, plus 3 tbsp juice
- 4 tbsp dried coconut shavings (I used desiccated coconut)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160c fan) and line the two large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Put the flaxseeds in a blender and process to a fine powder, then tip into a mixing bowl. Add the flour, oats and baking powder, then the ginger and cinnamon and stir well. Add the dried apricots, apple, carrot and nuts and stir again.
- Warm the coconut oil in a small saucepan (or in the microwave for 30 seconds) until just liquid. Remove from the hear, then stir in the maple syrup and orange zest and juice. Pour this into the carrot mixture and stir until you have a soft dough.
- Spoon 12 mounds of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheers, then flatten then into thick 7.5cm (3 inch) diameter rounds. Sprinkle with the coconut, then bake for 15-18 minutes or until browned.
- Serve warm or leave to cool, then pack into a plastic container and store in the fridge for up to three days.
The results are rather beautiful, I think – they’re also tasty and very satisfying.
Parragon provided the books for review and giveaway.