Will I like them, mummy? – JD, 4
It’s half term here and JD is mostly out of action with a cough and earache. Typical, eh?
Luckily, Flora Cuisine’s new cookbook landed on our mat and in a brighter spell, JD asked to do some baking.
Flicking through the book we found plenty to choose from. One side is called ‘Let’s Get Kids Cooking’ and is made up of simple recipes kids can take the lead with. The other side, ‘Let’s Get Cooking’, offers slightly more difficult family recipes. It turns out the whole lot were submitted by parents and then whittled down by a panel of judges headed up by Jean Christophe Novelli. Pretty near.
We settled on ‘Easy and Yummy Celebration cookies’ but didn’t have all the ingredients to make them exactly as directed in the book, so this is what we did:
- 85g Flora Cuisine (or 85g butter/margarine)
- 85g caster sugar
- 85g soft brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 55g chopped nuts (we used chopped blanched almonds)
- 25g dried cranberries (we used sultanas)
- 55g white and milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180°C/160°C fan/350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the Flora Cuisine, caster sugar, brown sugar and egg until well-mixed.
- Fold in flour, baking powder, orange zest, ginger and cinnamon, gently but thoroughly.
- Add in the chopped nuts, cranberries / sultanas and chocolate chips and fold together.
- Drop separate spoonfuls of the mixture, spaced well apart, onto a greased baking sheet, using more than one baking sheet if necessary.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 ( minutes until golden-brown.
The result was perfectly tasty – certainly impressive for a biscuit made by a four year old – but perhaps a little eggy for my taste. They tasted great a day or so later when they’d time to go nice and chewy.
If you fancy flicking through the Flora Cuisine Cookbook, you can access the e-version for free via this link.
Disclosure: we were sent a copy of the recipe free-of-charge for review. No payment was received. All posts are 100% honest. Recipe reproduced with kind permission from Flora.