The kids have officially grown bored of sandwiches, so we made up these sausage rolls to go their lunchboxes.
This quick vegetarian sausage roll recipe for kids uses ready roll pastry so it’s simple and easy to make.
- 320g (11 oz) Just-Rol puff pastry sheet
- 8 frozen vegetarian Lincolnshire style sausages
- 1 free egg, beaten
- Prepare a floured surface and your ingredients - the sausages can still be frozen but the pastry must just be chilled
- Unroll the pastry, leaving the backing sheet on for now
- With a sharp knife, score into 8 equal pieces
- Line up a sausage (still frozen) with the edge of the a pastry square and roll slightly, then press along the edge
- Continue rolling and press the pastry along the seam
- Place on a non stick baking tray, seam down and repeat until all 8 are wrapped. Note: we found a pastry was a smidgen longer than each sausage, so we rimmed with a knife before placing on the tray
- Slash each roll three times diagonally with a sharp knife
- Brush each roll with a little beaten egg
- Bake at 220C/430F (200C/390F fan assisted) for 20 minutes or until golden and well puffed
I warn you, these are very moreish, so put them away in an airtight container in the fridge as soon as they’re cool or there will be none left for lunch.