Extermi-bake! – JD, 5
This week we tested out the Dalek and Sontaran cookie cutters from Lakeland, that we picked up for just £4.99. The results are pretty effective, even without icing.
Here’s the dough recipe we used – it seemed to hold the imprint really well and made 6 Sontarans and 8 Daleks. To give you a sense of size, the Daleks are 11cm tall.
- 110g slightly salted butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 medium free range egg
- 270g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Beat the butter, sugar and eggs until fully combined
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and bicarbonate of soda until fully combined
- Cover the bowl with cling film (saran wrap) and chill for 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to about 50-70mm thick and cut out the cookie shapes
- Grease and lightly flour a baking sheet
- Place the cookies on the baking sheet, 1 inch apart and bake for 6-7 minutes, until just beginning to brown
- Cool on wire rack
You could, of course, decorate these little Daleks and Sontarans with icing once cool, but I rather like them plain.
We had a go at pushing sugar pearls into one cookie before baking and it’s quite a cute effect, although he’s a little crumblier than the others around the detail…
What do you think?