Can we have the weird chips again? – JD, 6
I had something a little like these delicious zucchini fries when we visited Fire & Stone in Covent Garden, except my version is chunkier with a paprika and garlic crumb. Still, totally yummy with the crunchy outer and juicy inner. Here’s what to do.
- 1 large courgette (approx 300g)
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 100g bread crumbs
- 2 tsp garlic granules
- 2 tsp paprika
- vegetable oil for frying
- Peel the courgette, halve and cut into chunk chips
- Set up a crumbing station with three bowls – flour in the first, beaten egg in the second, and the breadcrumbs, paprika and garlic in the third
- Dip each chip in the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil – it’s ready when you drop a bit of the courgette peel in and it immediately bubbles gently but not ferociously
- Drop in the chips (you may need to do them in a couple of batches) and fry for just a minute or so until golden brown
- Lift them out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper – if you’re not ready to serve them, you can keep them warm on a baking sheet in a low oven
Serve with sour cream and chive dip. They make a great starter!