So how do you make an easy, super-detailed gingerbread house? The answer: cheat!
This amazing house was created using a silicone mould, similar to this one. Follow the recipe below to make your own gingerbread house.
Easy, super-detailed gingerbread house
For the gingerbread:
- 180 g 6 oz butter
- 150 g 5 oz golden syrup
- 150 g 5 oz black treacle
- 125 g 4.5 oz brown sugar
- 500 g 18 oz plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp saltFor the icing:
- 500 g 18 oz icing sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3 egg whites
- Melt together the butter, golden syrup, black treacle and brown sugar in a pan
- Stir the mixture into a bowl containing the flour, ground ginger, bicarbonate of soda and salt
- Once you have a dough, press it into the moulds and bake it at 170C/340F (150C/300F fan) for 25-35 minutes until firm
- Once the gingerbread is cooled and crisp make up royal icing by whisking together the icing sugar, cream of tartar andegg whites
- Construct using the icing and the included piping bag and decorate however you like
And that’s it! A really cheaty way to make a gingerbread house, but so much fun. JD loved it, I loved it and six years later, we’re still using it, so it’s totally worth the cash investment – we have even used it to make a chocolate house at Easter.