So how do you make an easy, super-detailed gingerbread house? The answer: cheat!
Follow the recipe below to make your own gingerbread house.
- 180g (6 oz) butter
- 150g (5 oz) golden syrup
- 150g (5 oz) black treacle
- 125g (4.5 oz) brown sugar
- 500g (18 oz) plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 500g (18 oz) icing sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3 egg whites
- Melt together the butter, golden syrup, black treacle and brown sugar in a pan
- Stir the mixture into a bowl containing the flour, ground ginger, bicarbonate of soda and salt
- Once you have a dough, press it into the moulds and bake it at 170C/340F (150C/300F fan) for 25-35 minutes until firm
- Once the gingerbread is cooled and crisp make up royal icing by whisking together the icing sugar, cream of tartar andegg whites
- Construct using the icing and the included piping bag and decorate however you like
And that’s it! A really cheaty way to make a gingerbread house, but so much fun. JD loved it, I loved it – it’s totally worth the £11.99 as we’ll be using it again to make a gingerbread house for the school fair and maybe even a chocolate house at Easter.