Amongst the many drool-worthy dishes on the menus of restaurants in the Campania region in southwestern Italy, one bowl of pasta you are sure to find on offer is Spaghetti alla Puttanesca.
A classic dish of the region, Spaghetti alla Puttanesca is usually made using fresh tomatoes, olive oil, anchovies, olives, capers and garlic, stirred into spaghetti to give a fiery, salty, satisfying and utterly delicious dish.
Now the dish I’m bringing you today is indeed delicious, but it’s also a little different. I’ve left out the anchovies to make the dish vegan, instead using kalamata olives for a similar hit, and I’ve reduced the overall salt in the recipe to make it more family friendly.
Finally, I’ve used a very different type of pasta from the norm – it’s made with black bean flour! That’s because I’m working with a very different sort of innovative pasta brand, Explore Cuisine.
Explore Cuisine makes organic, gluten-free pastas using exciting ingredients such as beans, lentils, rice, & chickpeas, meaning they’re packed with protein and fibre.
As a “pasta pioneer”, I’ll be creating three dishes over the next few months, using:
- Explore Cuisine Organic Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccine
- Explore Cuisine Organic Edamame Spaghetti
- Explore Cuisine Organic Black Bean Spaghetti
So, hopefully, all this has whetted your appetite. Now let’s make spaghetti alla puttanesca with black bean spaghetti.
This very simple sauce requires just eight ingredients.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 50g pitted kalamata olives, drained and sliced into strips
- 30g capers, drained
- 150g pitted black olives, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 red chillis, finely chopped (reduce if you want less heat)
- 1kg fresh vine tomatoes, diced
- Handful fresh oregano, roughly chopped (or 2 tsp of dried)
- 200g of Explore Cuisine Organic Black Bean Spaghetti
- Salt and pepper
Rinse the olives and capers well in cold water to remove excess salt.
Warm the oil in a large pan over a low heat.
Fry the garlic and kalamata olives, plus a pinch of salt and pepper in oil until fragrant.
Add chilli peppers, capers, olives, diced tomatoes, oregano.
Crank up the heat, heat until bubbling then reduce to a gentle simmer until reduced. Season to taste.
Meanwhile, fill a large pan with 2 litres of boiling salted water. Add the Explore Cuisine Organic Black Bean Spaghetti and cook for 4-6 minutes until al dente.
Rinse and drain the pasta, then serve to four bowls.
Spoon the sauce into the pasta bowls. Top with fresh herbs, such as parsley, if you like.
TIP If you prefer a milder dish, simply halve all of the sauce ingredients to give less sauce per person and stir through rather than serving on top, so that the flavours are distributed through the pasta.
Win with Explore Cuisine
From May 2019 until November 30, 2019, you are encouraged to share your own delicious and nutritious Italian recipes on social media, using the hashtag #PastaPioneerChallenge.
Explore Cuisine will be randomly selecting monthly winners to receive a special prize pack, featuring pioneering kitchen gadgets and some of your favorite Explore Cuisine products.
What’s more, one grand-prize winner will be selected to win a trip for two to explore Italy!
For more contest details, head to @explorecuisine on social, or visit www.explorecuisine.com
If you’re like to learn more about Explore Cuisine, here’s where you can find them:
- Website: https://www.explorecuisine.com
- Facebook(US): https://www.facebook.com/ExploreCuisine
- Facebook (UK): https://www.facebook.com/ExplorePastaUK
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/explorecuisine
- Twitter (US): https://twitter.com/explorecuisine
- Twitter (UK): https://twitter.com/ExplorePastaUK
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/explorecuisine
Print the recipe for later
If you’d like to print this recipe to try at home, just hit print on the recipe card below.
Spaghetti alla puttanesca with black bean spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 50 g (1.8 oz) pitted kalamata olives drained and sliced into strips
- 30 g (1.1 oz) capers drained
- 150 g (5.3 oz) pitted black Olives drained and roughly chopped
- 2 red chillis finely chopped (reduce if you want less heat)
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) fresh vine tomatoes diced
- 1 small handful fresh oregano roughly chopped (or 1 tsp of dried)
- 200 g (7.1 oz) Explore Cuisine Organic Black Bean Spaghetti
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Rinse the olives and capers well in cold water to remove excess salt.
- Warm the oil in a large pan over a low heat.
- Fry the garlic and kalamata olives, plus a pinch of salt and pepper in oil until fragrant.
- Add chilli peppers, capers, olives, diced tomatoes, oregano.
- Crank up the heat, heat until bubbling then reduce to a gentle simmer until reduced. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pan with 2 litres of boiling salted water. Add the Explore Cuisine Organic Black Bean Spaghetti and cook for 4-6 minutes until al dente.
- Rinse and drain the pasta, then serve to four bowls.
- Spoon the sauce into the pasta bowls. Top with fresh herbs, such as parsley, if you like.
This is a commissioned post for Explore Cuisine
Hungry for more? Try these great pasta recipes
Get Your Kids to Eat Anything
My debut cookbook, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything is available now.
It’s so much more than a cookbook, it’s a 5-Phase programme designed to take you through a meaningful, simple and sustainable journey to end fussy eating.
Since its release in March 2019 Get Your Kids To Eat Anything has been changing mealtimes in households across the country and has become an Amazon #1 best-seller.