*in the style of a game show host* Ok, now…leeeet’s see if this works! – JD, 5
You know those days when you get a craving for something you don’t have in the house and all the shops are shut? Well today, we wanted treacle sponge pudding…and we had no idea how to make it.
Well, I mean, we know how to make cake, and we know that treacle pudding comes in a plastic pudding basin so…we made it up as we went along and it worked!
Our pudding was moist, sweet, soft and moreish. This recipe feeds four from a 1 pint pudding basin, takes about 15 minutes tops to make and uses ingredients you probably already have in the cupboard.
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp black treacle
- 1 medium free range
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essense
- 60 ml golden syrup
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, butter and black treacle
- Beat in the egg
- Stir in the flour and baking powder
- Mix in the vanilla essence
- Grease a 1 pint plastic pudding basin
- Squeeze the golden syrup into the bottom of the basin
- Carefully spoon the cake mix on top
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes
- Leave to stand for 1 minute
- CAREFULLY turn out onto a plate – it will be very hot so best to do away from little hands
Serve with cream, icecream or custard. Oh, so good.