We have three Halloween traditions in our household. We have a party (because it almost coincides with JD’s birthday), we carve pumpkins (JD draws a pattern on and Mark cuts it out) and we make monster cakes that peer right back at you.
Here’s how to make 12 of the little lookers…
Spookily good monster crispy cakes (recipe)
- 200 g 7 oz marshmallows
- 30 g 1 oz butter
- 120 g 4 oz rice crispies
- 2 tsp green natural food colouring
- 12 white chocolate Lindor white chocolate truffles
- A pack of icing pens including black, green and red
- Prepare the eyes first by drawing a black circle with icing onto the top of each ball
- Next draw round the black circle twice with the green pen
- Using a very slightly wet finger (I keep a pot of warm water by me as I work) pat the icing down to smooth it
- Finally, using the red pen, draw in some spooky detail from the middle outwards
- Set them aside
- In a saucepan, gently melt the butter, then add in the marshmallows, stirring continuously with a large metal spoon until completely melted
- Keeping the pan over a very low heat, stir in the rice crispies and mix until completely coated
- Now add the colouring but try to stop mixing before the colour has distributed completely evenly – it gives a spookier effect
- Take off the heat
- Line a muffin tray with fairy cake cases and when the mixture is just cool enough to handle, spoon it into the cases – you may have to use your hands as it gets sticky very quickly
- Wash any mix off your hands and leaving them slightly damp, push down the mixture in each case so that it’s packed firmly – you may have to rinse your hands a few times as you go
- Before they set, push an eye into the centre of each cake so that it’s set in by a couple of millimetres
- Allow to set completely, then lift out of the tray and there you have it – 12 crispy little monsters!
More Halloween recipes to try
Get Your Kids to Eat Anything
My debut cookbook, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything is available now from all good bookshops!
It’s so much more than a cookbook, it’s a 5-Phase programme designed to take you through a meaningful, simple and sustainable journey to end fussy eating.
Since its release in March 2019 Get Your Kids To Eat Anything has been changing mealtimes in households across the country and has become an Amazon #1 best-seller.