You'll love this Cypriot-inspired, intensely flavourful pasta, made in minutes using halloumi, courgette, aubergine and fresh cherry tomatoes.
On a family vacation in Cyprus, we stopped at traditional Cypriot restaurant, Pithari Tavern and enjoyed a really delicious, intense pasta dish made with halloumi. It held joyful memories for us all, so I have since created my own version.
The result is a fantastic dish, perfect for eating for lunch or dinner. Here's how to make it.
- Glug of olive oil
- 1 big handful (325g /11.46 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 striped aubergine/eggplant, diced into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1 courgette, diced into 3/4 inch chunks
- A block of halloumi, diced into 3/4 inch chunks
- Big pinch mixed dried herbs
- Big glug (75ml /2.54 fl oz) white wine
- 2-3 large handfuls (275g /9.7 oz) of dried penne pasta
- Salt and pepper
Put the pasta on to boil in plenty of salted water. Heat up the olive oil in a pan, then chuck in the cherry tomatoes.
Fry for a minute until they just start to soften.
Add the aubergine, courgette, halloumi and herbs.
Keep frying for a few minutes until it all starts to caramelise and the flavour of the tomatoes has intensified.
Add the wine and bring to a simmer to let the alcohol boil off for a minute, then mix well and season to taste.
Drain the cooked pasta a stir into the sauce.
Serve and enjoy!
What's your favourite ever pasta meal?
Print this halloumi pasta recipe
Intensely flavourful cherry tomato and halloumi pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 325 g (11.46 oz) cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 striped aubergines (eggplant), diced
- 1 courgettes (zucchini) diced
- A block of halloumi diced (vegetarian if required)
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 75 ml (2.54 floz) red wine
- 275 g (9.7 oz) penne pasta
- Salt and pepper
- Put the pasta on to boil in plenty of salted water.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat, then chuck in the cherry tomatoes.
- Fry for a minute, then add the aubergine, courgette, halloumi and herbs.
- Keep frying for 5-10 minutes until it all starts to caramelise and the flavour of the tomatoes has intensified, then pour in a good glug of white wine.
- Let the alcohol boil off for a minute, then mix well and season to taste.
- Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce, then serve.
Pin this vegetarian halloumi pasta
More delicious pasta dishes to try
For more tempting pasta dishes, check out my pasta section. Here are some ideas to get you started.
Get Your Kids to Eat Anything
My debut cookbook, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything is available now from all good bookshops!
It's so much more than a cookbook, it's a 5-Phase programme designed to take you through a meaningful, simple and sustainable journey to end fussy eating.
Since its release in March 2019, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything has been changing mealtimes in households across the country and has become an Amazon #1 best-seller.