Sweet and sour ketchup noodle stir fry
A quick and healthy 20 minute stir-fry with a surprising secret ingredient that's full of veg and bursting with taste and colour.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 bowls
For the sweet and sour sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp water
- 5 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp cornflourFor the noodles
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 stems / 60g sprouting broccoli cut whole stem, florets and leaves into 2-3cm lengths
- 1 medium red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 200 g 7 oz dried noodles
- 100 g 3.5 oz bean sprouts
- 1 spring onion sliced whites and greens
- 10 g 0.3 oz root ginger, grated with skin
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 10 g 0.3 oz fresh coriander, roughly chopped leaves and stalks
- 2 tbsp black/white sesame seeds
- 1 medium 100g / 3.5 oz carrot, green tops finely chopped, carrot julienned
To make the sweet and sour sauce
Put the ketchup in a small pan.
Add the water, pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, half the oil, chilli powder and cornflour.
Whisk together until smooth.
Place over a medium heat and whisk for 1-3 minutes continuously until thickened. Set aside.
To make the noodles
Cook the noodles according to the manufacturer’s instructions and drain.
Heat the remaining oil in a large wok over a medium high heat. Then add the broccoli, carrot and carrot tops, and red peppers. Stir-fry for 5 minutes.
Add the spring onions, ginger and garlic to the wok and stir-fry for a further 2–3 minutes. Add the bean sprouts and sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in the cooked noodles, coriander and half of the sesame seeds and heat through.
Serve onto plates or bowls and sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds. Enjoy!